Thursday, July 15, 2010

Buffet

Yes I said it, the dreaded buffet. It can be your best friend or worst enemy. With me. its a love hate relationship. The choices I love, its the aftermath I despise, sometimes.

Last night I was being lazy so we went out to eat with my in-laws. The restaurant of choice was Hoss's. Hoss's has a somewhat modest salad bar with soups, nacho bar, various breads, and desserts which can be ordered separately or along with an entree. Now an entree was probably not even necessary but the excitement of being "out to dinner" played on my brain so I went with the premium lump crab cake and a plain sweet potato. I find, from being here before, an entree is usually not even necessary, the salad bar is plenty enough and much cheaper. There is nothing worse than walking away from dinner with that awful full feeling making you regret almost everything that you put in your mouth.

So what else did I grab off the buffet you ask? Ok here goes, a colorful salad w/ a nonfat honey dijon, pickled egg (yolk removed), small spoonful of cole slaw, a slice of multi grain bread with a tbsp of peanut butter and apple butter, a cup of sausage potato soup. This soup was to die for, I kid you not. It was absolutely fabulous. Makes me drool just thinking about it. Oh and probably a half cup of butter beans. Dessert rounded out the meal, being a small cup of vanilla ice cream with hot fudge and chopped nuts. Wow, it always looks like a ton of food once spelled out. Needless to say I stuffed myself. The full glass of water didn't help either. My choices weren't terrible but my choice to eat more than needed was out of whack.

On my way home I tried to rationalize why I overstuffed myself especially when I am trying to lose the poundage. Its a learning process, so heres what I learned.
-Stay away from the buffets if you have the choice.
-Portion Control is of the utmost importance don't order, or take, any more than you need.
-Eat the fresh foods offered, not processed.

Lets admit it we can't totally escape the buffets when going through life, but we can try our best to make the right decisions when faced with the challenge.

Any points I missed? (Theres probably a few). Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment